How do we operate? What is our policy?
CANDIDATE CAMPAIGN AND ELECTION POLICY
A. Non-Board Members. Recognizing that the LWV experience uniquely equips members for public life and wishing to encourage members to utilize their knowledge and ability, non-board members are urged to participate fully in party activities and candidate selection on an individual basis.
B. Members of the LWV Hudson Board of Directors shall not:
1. Run for or hold elective office
2. Serve as Campaign manager for a candidate
3. Chair a campaign event for a candidate
4. Administer fundraising for a candidate
5. Give a coffee in their home for a candidate
6. Allow their signature to be used in advertising for a candidate
7. A board member shall not indicate her/his political affiliations or candidate preference at any level of government in the media, including on social networking sites or other public venues that also promenently identify her/him as a member of the LWVH
(If a Board member should declare to run for elective office, the member must resign or take a leave of absence from the Board. Board members should always take into consideration the impact of their activities on the local League.
Board members may serve on public boards, commissions, committees or coalitions. However, their participation does not signify support by the LWV unless the member is officially designated as a LWV representative.)
C. The President and Voter Service Chair and any other member who is involved in LWV voter service activities shall take no action which might publically identify them as supporting any candidate or political party. In addition to the above policy members 1-6, they may not:
1. Display campaign materials for a candidate
2. Hold any party office
3. Circulate petitions for a candidate
4. Attend fundraising events for a candidate or contribute to a candidate or party.
5. A board member shall not indicate her/his political affiliations or candidate preferences at any level of government in the media, including on social networking sites or other public venues that also prominently identify her/him as a member of the LWVH.
D. Members of the LWV Hudson Board of Directors may:
1. Attend fundraisers events for candidates or a political party
2. Make Contributions to a political party or candidate
3. Attend coffee to meet candidates
4. Sign petitions for a candidate
E. The political activities of a spouse or relative of a member are to be considered separate and distinct from the activities of the member. In the event that a conflict may arise with the political activity of a relative, spouse or domestic partner, the Board member is expected to bring the issue to the Board for resolution.
Policy on Issues
A. When LWV Hudson has a position on an issue Board Members may:
1. Circulate and sign petitions
2. Participate in publicizing the LWV Hudson's position
3. Distribute literature that endorses the LWV Hudson's position
4. Sign advertisements or send mailings in support of LWV Hudson's position
5. A board member may not work or speak publicly against a League position.
The Membership List
The membership list of the LWV Hudson may not be used for any non-league purpose. Only the Board of Directors may approve the use of the list for any purpose other than information to the membership.